Thursday, April 03, 2008

Hutch read with caution.....

I'm on a blogging tear tonight. Although I'm back in Portland taking classes, I've been off all week because Washington's spring break is the week after Oregon's. We've been trying to use our time wisely and get some good stuff done.

So, last July I was helping out at Camp Firwood for a few weeks. We took kids camping, rock climbing, & white water rafting up in Leavenworth Wa. It was a pretty awesome two weeks of hanging out with kids and being outdoors. Nice. However it did have it's price as during the first week I got some pretty vicious wasp stings. I think I got hit 3-4 times through my shirt sleeves and reacted no differently that I ever have.

Yet still in December the spots where the bees had stung me were still big, nasty, and looking somewhat infected. I probably shouldn't have waited so long to go to the doctor but I was stubborn. Finally I gave in to Britt's suggestions that I go in to get things checked out. I make an appointment and go in to my Dr. who says: "Try this cream and if it doesn't work we'll have to cut it out." Huh? Cut it out? Woah. Never had that type of bee sting before. So sure enough we try some cream to see if it will help the swelling go down which it does but once I finish the medicine it goes back up.

WARNING-If you've got a week stomach (read Hutch) then read with caution. Okay it might not be that bad but on Tuesday I got a new scar. After the first try my doctor decided that the bee stinger must still be left in my arm and is causing the localized swelling. He put me on a different cream to take down the swelling and then had me come back in for my appointment. So I went in a Tuesday and he did a little minor surgery on my arm. Nothing too bad but it was just kind of weird to voluntarily go in and let myself get cut up and get some stitches. Usually stitches happens because of an accident......but now I've got about ten of them in nice neat 1.5 inch line. The arm is a little sore and I'll get the stitches taken out in a little over a week. There's a first for everything.

2 comments:

Allen said...

In the words of my daughters:

That's góss (gross).

Hope you heal well.

Joel & Brittany Thomas said...

Yeah it was a little on the gross side. Today the lab at the hospital called and told me, "It less likely that there was a bee stinger in there and you just had an inflammatory skin infection". Huh. Regardless, I just hope this saga is over.