Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Jack"

A year ago today my mom got to go be with the Lord. It was something that was kind of expected but yet the timing was a little sudden. My mom was a cancer survivor. She was first diagnosed in the winter of 99' (I think) and was clean in '01.....Then in March of 03' she was diagnosed terminal (1 yr. to live) with a reoccurence of cervical cancer.

However, God saw fit to let her live another 3 years which were a tremendous blessing. She was able to be at my wedding and meet my beautiful wife which made me very happy and thankful......part of me wishes that she would have been around to see our first child but we were by no means (and still are not) ready to bring a life in to the world.

Her last three years were good and she tried to enjoy every minute of it. She was on chemotherapy on and off with her body responding well most of the time. She was often tired and would get sick fairly easily. I'd try and tell her to slow down and take care of herself but that often didn't work. She was a go getter. My mom has six brothers who used to call her "Jack" instead of "Jackie" which I thought was fun. She wouldn't ever let us (my brothers and I) call her that but I would try and sneak it in there every now and then. My mom was a good women who loved life. I miss her. Yet at the same time am so happy for her because she no longer has to deal with the challenges of the human body.I look forward to seeing her again....whole and healed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

joel - thinking about you and praying for you today...

thanks for sharing that stuff.

Jed said...

We miss her too -- even as little as we knew her, we loved her and very much felt loved by her. I think of her when I hear "I Can Only Imagine" -- singing that at her funeral was the most celebratory thing I've ever done in such a setting, and rightly so.

Joel & Brittany Thomas said...

Devin-thanks for your prayers I appreciate it. Jed-yeah her funeral was good huh? I had a good cry last night when I wrote this. It was good and somewhat "therapeutic".

The Horne's said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing. She's in a WAY better place than we are...she's lucky!