Friday, September 14, 2007

Speaking of violence....


So we were at dinner last night with family and my brother in law says that he saw a trailer for Rambo IV. I was beside myself because I didn't think there were any plans to ressurect that franchise. Then again Rocky 6 happened.....Over the Top 2 anyone?

I was curious though and wanted to investigate....Ian (brother in law) did say heads were rolling (literally) and that it was a violent trailer. He was not kidding. I'm not sure if what I saw was approved for America but it was definitely the most violent trailer I had seen. Interesting-if you check it out be forwarned.

I'm also sitting here watching tv and decided to check something else out. Now I probably should be doing homework (that's a prime thought for the next 13 weeks) but I decided to check the UFC. Huh. Also very violent and I'm not sure what I think about it. A bunch of huge dudes beating the snot out of each other. I'm not exactly sure what it says about our culture nor about men in the church as I know of a lot of guys who really enjoy watching it. Definitely seems Roman like but on a smaller scale. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Jed said...

I have definitely enjoyed watching boxing, hockey fights, and violent films from time to time but the UFC is just too far over the top for me. As a junior higher I remember seeing a TV tabloid news report on the UFC (or some similar group) and they played a clip in which the UFC announcers gave play-by-play on one dude getting the other guy in some kind of hold and then proceeding to break his arm-bone like a twig. I remember standing up and walking out of the room feeling almost ill that people thought that level of violence for its own sake was ok. I guess I still pretty much feel that way.

Joel & Brittany Thomas said...

Yeah it is a bit surprising to watch them fight....however I think that things are a little "safer" than they were when UFC first started. I did a little reading (albeit Wikipedia) and mentioned that when it first began it was more of a free for all. After receiving lots of negative press the UFC got out of the limelight and reformed itself in some ways. They came up with a set of fighting rules that is governed by the Nevada state atheletic commision (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules).

All that to say I think that it's a bit different today then when it first started. Fairly similar to watch kickboxing...interesting deal.